How to Update AT&T Cell Phones to New Towers
By Michelle Carvo
Updated October 12, 2017
You can ensure that your AT&T iPhone or Android is using the newest cell phone towers by updating your specific device’s carrier settings.
Update AT&T iPhone to New Towers
You can update your AT&T iPhone to use the latest AT&T carrier settings and towers by following these steps:
Turn Network Off and Back On
You can usually update your iPhone to use the latest AT&T cell towers by simply turning the iPhone’s network off and then back on again. Tap the “Airplane” icon to turn it on and then tap it again to turn it off to reconnect to the network.
Download iPhone Carrier Update
- Connect your iPhone to your Wi-Fi network or the AT&T network. Swipe up on the iPhone screen to show the iPhone Control Center and then tap the “Wi-Fi” icon to turn it on.
- Tap the “Settings” icon on your iPhone’s home screen and then tap the “General” option.
- Tap “About” and then tap “Install” to install a carrier update for your iPhone if an AT&T carrier update is available.
You can make sure that your iPhone is using the newest AT&T towers by turning your iPhone off and then back on again:
- Hold down the “Power” button on your iPhone until a slider appears.
- Tap the slider and drag it to the right to turn the iPhone off.
- Turn the iPhone back on to update your iPhone so that it is using the newest AT&T towers.
Update AT&T Android Phones to New Towers
Turn Network Off and Back On
You can usually update your Android to use the latest AT&T towers by simply reconnecting to the network. Swipe down from the top of the screen to show your device’s Quick Settings menu.
Tap the “Airplane” button to turn it on. Wait 10 seconds and then tap the “Airplane” button again to turn it off. Your Android phone will reconnect to the AT&T network.
Update Android Device
You can update your Android’s carrier settings by updating to the newest version of Android OS available for your device.
- Tap the “Settings” icon on your Android phone and then tap “About device.”
- Tap the “Software Update”option and then wait for your AT&T Android phone to search for an update.
- Tap “Install Now” to install the update on your Android device. Wait for the update to download and install on your device. Once the update has installed your Android will be using the newest carrier settings and the newest AT&T towers.
Restart Android Device
You can ensure that your Android device is using the newest AT&T towers by turning the device off and then back on again.
- Hold down the “Power” button on your Android device and then tap the “Power Off” option that appears.
- Turn the Android phone back on.
Michelle Carvo has been writing professionally since 2006, contributing to a variety of websites. She is also a technical writer with extensive experience in Android/iPhone development and PC repair. Carvo holds a Bachelor of Science in computer information systems from the University of Michigan-Flint and works as an IT project manager.